Nelle Harper Lee was an ordinary airline reservation agent in New York. Everything changed in December 1956, when she received a gift of a year’s wages from her friends with a few encouraging words: ‘You have one year off from your job to write whatever you please. Merry Christmas’. Thanks to their present, Lee wrote ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’, which eventually sold 30 million copies. The book was translated into many different languages and is still highly regarded and highly rated all over the world.
Today, we at newssguide. would like to express our gratitude to Harper Lee for her incredible contribution to world literature and the important insights she shared with her readers in her famous novel.
- Folks don’t like to have somebody around knowin’ more than they do. It aggravates ‘em.
- Atticus had said it was the polite thing to talk to people about what they were interested in, not about what you were interested in.
- You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view — until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.
- There are just some kind of men who—who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one.
- Before I can live with other folks I’ve got to live with myself.
- ”Atticus, he was real nice…”
”Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.”
- When a child asks you something, answer him, for goodness’ sake. But don’t make a production of it. Children are children, but they can spot an evasion quicker than adults, an evasion simply muddles ’em.
- Bad language is a stage all children go through, and it dies with time when they learn they’re not attracting attention with it, hot-headedness isn’t.
- Things are always better in the morning.
- People have a habit of doing everyday things even under the oddest conditions.
- It’s not okay to hate anybody.
- Try fighting with your head for a change.
- I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.
- There was no point in saying you were sorry if you aren’t.
- I think there’s just one kind of folks. Folks.